Tell Your Story….
7. Posted 01-10-18
My   time   at   Ditchburn’s   started   on   the   9th   May   1963,   and   finished   on   the   30th   July   1973,   but   the   intervening   years   were   fabulous.   In my   younger   days   I   worked   on   radios,   but   that   was   before   I   started   working   so   I   was   well   adversed   in   Radio, Audio   and   electrical   and mechanical engineering you might say self taught, and i also went to night school to gain paper qualifications.. I   was   19   years   old   and   had   three   jobs   before   I   started   with   the   company.   I   started   on   the   Monday   morning   in   fear   and   trepidation   I was   on   electrical   test   a   job   I   hated,   the   test   engineer   was   Tony   Toues   I   was   in   the   job   2   days   when   I   found   out   that   a   lad   called   Sutty wanted   my   job   so   I   saw   Sutty   he   said   that   he   wanted   the   job   as   he   had   already   been   there   a   few   months.   I   saw Tommy   Greaves   who was   in   charge   of   the   vending   department,      and   said   that   Sutty   wanted   the   job   I   got,   could   we   please   swap.   So   on   the   third   day   Sutty got what he wanted and I got what I wanted a job on electrical production. In   1963   we   were   tight   for   space   the   electrical   test   was   at   the   end   near   the   stairs,   the   electrical   assembly   was   on   one   side   all   the length   of   the   room   on   the   other   side   of   the   room   were   the   boiler   assembly   shop   an   odd   job   engineering   shop,   and   one   I   never   got   to the bottom of it was run by Rose Webster there were also two offices on the stairs side..
This   image   on   the   left   is   the   Dock   road   factory   and   shows   the Factory  Electrical department. circa 1949 The   blocked   out   windows   were   replaced   with   the   same   type   and after    1956    the    area    formed    the    mechanism    department    for    the Tonomat   machines   there   were   two   full   windows   in   the   middle   for   the test   and   inspection   department   and   the   last   two   windows   were   the Audio   department.   There   were   4   windows   in   the   six   that   were   taken out.   Upstairs   were   the   production   office   of   Bill   Andrews,   and   later other offices were included such as service office.
The   light   work   but   hectic   schedule   made   the   days   go   quick,   I   was   the   last   bench   just   before   the   harness   assembly   shop,   my   mate next   door   was   Bob   Shaw   he   came   from   Blackpool   and   was   a   teddy   boy   at   heart.   The   days   were   full   of   mirth   and   we   employed   men and   women,   I   think   there   were   four   women   and   three   men   in   the   department   ,   but   soon   there   was   a   lad   started   and   I   made   room   for him   and   he   was   next   to   the   harness   shop,   he   was   a   lad   I   knew   and   I   had   seen   him   grow   up   for   three   years   so   we   were   ok   and   the jokes kept coming. I   always   seem   to   get   the   job   of   making   harnesses   up   for   everyone   and   could   spend   two   days   on   making   each   one,      it   got   to   a   fine art,   but   the   fact   was   that   we   were   all   supposed   to   make   our   own   harnesses   up.   There   was   a   works   social   club   called   the   “Domino club”   it   organised   a   couple   of   outings   a   year   and   the   first   one   was   planned   for   July   and   another   one   in   December   and   I   went   on   both of   them      and   they   were   good   do’s,   and   after   that   I   went   to   every   one   until   I   left.   In   1968,   I   took   over   the   club   as   chairman   in   later years and remained in that position till I left the company in 1973. There   was   talk   about   us   moving   to   the   other   side   of   Dock   Road,   we   at   that   time   were   employed   in   the   Dock   offices,   upstairs   was electrical   boiler   manufacturing   section   for   the   hot   drink   vending   machines,   but   downstairs   was   the   machine   production   line   area,   this area   was   the   full      length   of   the   building,      the   research   and   development   office   was   at   the   end   of   the   building   with   separate   locked entrance. There was also a loading area entrance that the finished machines left the factory by. In   May   1964   we   moved   lock   stock   and   barrel   to   the   new   factory   and   it   was   big,   you   could   fit   the   whole   of   production   into   it   and   had acres   of   space   but   It   was   not   long   till   we   started   filling   it   up,   we   had   back   ground   music   section   in   there   that   took   up   minuscule space   and   then   they   built   a   test   room   for   my   mate   Peter   Hamm,   but   before   he   got   the   job   I   was   assistant   to   Bill   the   test   engineer   for a   few   weeks   in   another   part   of   the   factory,   I   worked   on   back   ground   music   (BGM)   for   a   few   months   mainly   sorting   out   the   poor amplifiers.
Shown   on   the   right   is   the Ditchburn      Symphonette BGM    system    and    tape, this   provided   background music     to     shops,     pubs, and  restaurants.
At   some   point   I   was   asked,   “not   told”   to   go   on   the   cigarette   machines   that   were   coming   in   from   Germany   and   spent   a   few   months between   these   and   the   BGM   department.   There   were   two   of   these   type   of   machines   a   16   and   a   24   column   format,      they   would hold   about   40   packets   of   cigarettes   per   stack   and   vended   change   which   was   set   by   changing   diodes,   if   the   diodes   went   open   or short   circuit   as   happened   from   time   to   time   you   got   no   change,   if   all   the   diodes   went   faulty   I   found   out   they   would   not   vend   at   all, see   more   about   this   below.   For   some   reason   we   had   a   110   volt   generator   run   from   a   three   phase   supply   to   test   the   first   machines but we soon lost the generator.  So   by   now   I   was   sorting   cigarette   machines,   manufacturing   BGM   machines   still   working   on   vending   and   now   was   seconded   to   sort out   problems   of   an   electrical   nature   on   vending   test   oh   and   I   worked   for   the   two   weeks   we   shut   down   for   holidays   so   went   off   and was   chauffeur   driven   because   I   did   not   have   driving   licence,   so   they   took   me   to   Blackpool   to   sort   out   a   particular   problem   with   a vending   machine   on   North   pier. The   machine   a   v16   cigarette   vending   type   was   dead   but   the   power   was   ok,   I   checked   all   the   usual points   for   voltage   and   everything   was   there   so   for   the   moment   I   was   stumped.   So   thinking   of   the   way   the   machine   worked   and thinking   sideways   I   removed   one   column   of   diodes   placed   them   in   my   pocket   and   from   spares   box   put   in   a   set   of   diodes   on   column 1   and   it   vended   on   that   column   but   no   other   so   I   replaced   column   2   and   that   one   worked   and   continued   all   the   way   along   the   board till   all   columns   worked.   I   then   realised   that   if   all   the   diodes   were   open   or   short   circuit   it   would   not   vend,   there   was   nothing   in   the manual   about   this   situation.   I   asked   questions   of   the   owner   of   the   machine   had   anything   spectacular   happened   before   it   went dead,   he   said   the   only   thing   on   Sunday   morning   about   9   the   lights   went   off   and   came   on   again.   Two   weeks   later   I   got   a   call   from the   engineer   and   he   asked   about   it   I   gave   my   response   and   told   him   to   replace   all   the   change   diodes   check   each   column   and   see me   with   the   diodes   when   he   came   back   to   Lytham.   We   sent   both   sets   of   diodes   off   to   Germany   to   check   their   condition   all   of   them were   burned   to   a   cinder.   So   I   checked   with   Blackpool   tram   ways   and   asked   for   information   on   the   trams   that   were   running   on those   days   and   times   we   got   the   answer   back   it   was   the   same   tram   both   times   and   as   there   is   no   connection   with   the   tram   cables they   run   on   600   volt   dc   not   connected   directly   in   any   way   to   the   mains   it   remains   a   mystery   to   this   day.   Apparently   there   was   a problem   with   the   coronation   trams,   they   would   do   all   sorts   of   things   to   nearby   equipment   and   they   had   to   remove   them   from service.
A Ditchburn Clairtone Radiogram
The   back   ground   music   moved   again   this   time   we   were   in   the   big   dry   dock   but   the   dry   dock   was   filled   in   and   a   second   floor   was   built and   a   cargo   lift   put   in,   you   were   not   supposed   to   use   the   lift   if   you   took   goods   up,   you   walked   up   the   stairs,   the   floor   was   finished   as pure   concrete   and   I   requested   that   the   floor   was   sealed   because   I   was   having   problems   with   my   feet   eventually   the   floor   was   sealed and   that   cured   the   problem.   By   this   time   a   new   symphonaire   was   introduced   called   the   symphonette,   the   pre   amps   were   built   in house   on   vero-board   to   expedite   construction   because   no   boards   were   ready,   so   I   built   them   up..   hundreds   of   them   then   later   we got   printed   circuit   boards   the   job   was   far   easier.   These   symphonettes   contained   a   small   package   mullard   2   watt   amplifier,   and   a tape   preamp.   So   by   this   time   I   was   working   between   all   the   departments   of   vending,   symphonaire,   BGM   and   Clairtone   filling   in wherever   I   was   needed.   At   the   end   of   this   building   was   the   research   and   development   department   which   was   always   securely locked   and   no   one   gained   entry   unless   you   worked   in   there.   The   one   thing   I   have   only   just   realised   is   that   there   was   no   component stores   at   the   vending   department,   but   somehow   stuff   got   ordered,   and   now   I   do   not   know   how   or   why,   but   we   never   ran   short   of anything.
Well   at   the   end   of   1966   I   had   another   job,   I   was   considered   for   a   new   venture,   the   Clairtone   radiograms,   so   between   66   and   67   i worked   between   all   of   them   but   time   was   running   out   for   Clairtone,   the   company   was   in   trouble   in   Canada   the   Canadian government   had   invested   80      million   dollars   into   it   but   the   concept   was   not   right   the   company   went   bust   in   1968.   We   had   a   range   of radio   grams   from   the   project   G   to   the   G2   and   we   had   small   ones   and   big   ones   some   just   radio   and   record   players   some   with   tape recorders   and   they   were   up   to   800   each.   Clairtone   were   in   the   sheriff’s   office   next   door   to   vending     The   company   went   bankrupt   but the share capital is nothing and in 2018 the company was still in existence but not trading.
This   photo   shows   the   vending   division   in   circa   1960s, downstairs   is   the   machine   production   track   and   upstairs is   the   electrical   department   associated   with   production. The   man   that   ran   the   vending   was   Tommy   Greaves,   and electrical   test   was   Tony   Toose.   In   1964   when   we   vacated the   unit   upstairs   was   the   pay   department   and   downstairs was    an    ITC    1400    Computer    for    wages,    which    was needed   as   by   that   time   we   had   600   or   more   staff   on   the books at Ditchburn.
The   Ditchburn   Cold   Spa   Drinks   Vending   machine,   this   was   an American   designed   machine   that   was   50%   US   and   50%   UK manufactured,   this   was   to   circumvent   the   import   regulations   set after   the   war,   the   Cold   Spa   was   for   cold   Drinks   and   there   was also a Hot Spa Machine for Coffee and Tea
1968   was   a   momentous   year   I   thought,   I   had   finally   got   my   position   in   the   Ditchburn Audio   Department,   and   strangely   it   was   in   May of   that   year   I   was   given   three   months   to   make   my   mark   and   prove   my   worth,   or   I   was   out   of   the   department!…   I   did   it   in   one   month, Bill Andrews   was   the   boss      he   was   so   fierce,   everyone   feared   him   but   he   was   a   nice   kind   soul   and   secretly   he   was   soft   underneath, he   helped   me   out   a   lot   in   my   time   with   Ditchburn   Equipment,   and   when   I   left   he   sent   a   letter   to   me   asking   me   to   come   back   on   the following   Monday,   I   went   back   to   thank   him,   but   told   him   exactly   why   I   left   the   company   he   said   “You   are   a   star”   but   sadly   I   did   not go back to work. How   I   made   my   mark   on   audio   well   there   were   two   amplifiers   in   the   audio   department   both   small   Philips   amplifiers,   but   they   simply did   not   work.   The   first   one   was   dead   on   sound   and   running   loads   of   HT   current,   most   of   the   voltages   were   ok,   but   the   output   stage was   duff   but   drawing   current   for   fun,   so   I   investigated   the   output   and   realised   that   the   capacitors   in   the   unit   had   all   been   replaced and   there   it   was…   a   so   simple   a   mistake,   the   –ve   bias   cap   had   been   put   in   the   wrong   way   round   shutting   off   the   bias,   I   replaced   the capacitors   and   the   amplifier   was   now   working   great.   The   second   one   was   the   output   protector   it   was   a   dead   short,   after   repair,   it was now ok. I had made my mark and got the job fixing two jobs that had hung around for at least four years. The   audio   department   handled   a   number   of   amplifiers   from   juke   boxes   to   public   address   amplifiers   and   each   one   presented   a different   problem.   There   was   the   ubiquitous   ones,   the   smaller   public   address   amplifiers   that   gave   the   most   trouble,   these   were Philips   amplifiers   the   range   was   18   watt,   20   watt,   35   watt,   70   watt,   and   rather   special   400   watt,   we   just   had   two   of   these,   one   which     was   installed   at   a   company   on   the   A57   in   Manchester   it   was   a   massive   site   with   all   sorts   of   buildings   on   it,   and   they   made   sheds and   garages,   there   were   7   amplifiers   on   this   site   alone   the   total   power   was   in   the   order   of   700   watts   or   so,   these   gave   little   trouble but   wanted   a   5   year   service,   but   there   was   not   much   to   replace,   they   ran   4   x   807   Beam   Tetrode   Valves   in   the   output   stage,      which were   completely   under   run   but   no   worries   the   only   things   you   had   to   do   was   check   and   set   the   bias   and   clean   the   safety   contacts, this   was   a   system   of   controlling   the   amp   if   the   speakers   got   inadvertently   disconnected   (   a   relay   to   protect   the   output   transformer   ) and   adjust   the   gap   of   the   contacts   for   safe   operation.   We   also   had   a   few   25   watt   Reslo   amplifiers,   but   in   the   main   most   of   the   work was   juke   box   related   .   To   test   these,   the   final   test   was   to   disconnect   the   speakers   turn   them   up   full   bore   and   watch   the   sparks   fly. We   also   took   on   Eagle   amplifiers   it   was   a   try   out   the   TPA30   and   the   PA539   these   were   tried   and   found   to   be   good   enough   to   press them   in   service   and   were   reasonably   cheap   at   least   cheaper   than   the   Philips   amplifiers   but   sadly   they   never   needed   service   I suppose you could say that was good.
I   must   stop   using   the   term   “jukebox”      GND   (Geoffrey   Norman   Ditchburn   )   would   not   like   it,   he   only   called   them   by   their   correct   name which   is      “Automatic   Phonographs”.   In   1968   towards   the   end   of   the   year   we   got   an   amplifier   for   evaluation   it   was   supposed   to   be   a 30   watt   solid   state   amplifier   of   superior   performance   so   I   was   given   the   task   of   writing   a   report,   all   went   well   till   I   got   to   the   final output   test.   It   was   30   watt   the   first   amp   that   the   company   had   produced   in   the   solid   state   format,   there   was   plenty   of   HT   to   support the   theory,   but   transistors   being   what   they   were   then   were   not   up   to   much   above   20   watts.   The   output   no   matter   how   I   measured   it was   just   18   watts   RMS   into   a   4   ohm   load.   The   amplifier   did   not   make   it   to   our   inventory   and   the   company   shelved   it.   You   see amplifiers   were   rated   as   RMS,   Music   power,   IAHF,   and   a   few   more   nondescript   outputs   so   if   it   was   stated   30   watt   RMS   it   should   be because this was the standard by which all were measured. I   had   left   vending   behind   but   the   same   applied   in   the   Equipment   department,   I   had   to   deal   with   calls   from   service   engineers   about faults   with   sound   systems,   this   was   completely   unofficial   but   the   service   engineer   at   the   works   could   not   answer   all   the   questions   he was   after   all   just   a   contact,   but   he   worked   hard   and   I   helped   him   out.   The   chief   service   engineer   was   Ronnie   Cole,   he   originated from   Blackpool   but   the   main   man   was   Mike   (   not   sure   of   his   second   name   )   he   would   rush   in   at   5   minutes   to   clocking   off   time wanting   an   amplifier   to   go   out   on   transport   to   somewhere,   and   we   would   not   have   one   in   stock,   so   “mugwump   me”   would   locate   an amplifier   in   a   box   service   it   and   send   it   out   that   night   just   in   time,   then   I   had   problems   getting   out   of   the   factory   because   the   staff entrance was locked. so I went out through the main entrance. I did this so many times I cannot count them, but that was me.
Well   the   years   came   and   went,   and   I   was   still   happy   with   my   lot,   the   Juke   boxes   went   on,   we   had   more   of   a   range   of   jukeboxes   to deal   with,   some   actually   were   rubbish   but   we   soldiered   on   with   them,      if   you   consult   the   machine   directory   you   will   see   that   of   those non   Ditchburn   machines   we   put   out,   plenty   of   them   there   was   the…   Bal-Ami’s,   the   Seeburgs,   the   Telematic,   German   Wurlitzer’s   and the American   ones   from   the   2600   to   the   last   one   the   3800   so   we   had   a   lot   of   amplifiers   to   deal   with,   we   all   have   favorites,   and   mine was   the   Tonomat   from   Germany,   the   T31,   I   have   one   of   these   at   home,   30   watts   into   two   Goodmans   Audiom   61   speakers,   at   30 watts   of   raw   valve   power   you   can’t   beat   it.   But   some   others   preferred   the   transistor   amplifiers,   the   only   ones   of   these   I   liked   was   the 2900   and   the   3000.   We   also   had   the   full   range   of   German   Wurlitzer’s   from   the   Lyric   M   to   the   tape   machines,   we   also   had   the Seeburg   1000   a   fully   functioning   BGM   (Back   Ground   Music)   this   machine   played   vinyl   instead   of   tapes   and   if   I   could   get   one   this would be my machine.
Arthur’s Dream Machine The Seeburg 1000 BGM
We   occasionally   had   the   early   Ditchburn   machines   in   for   service   the   MK4   ( AKA   MK2   Music   maker   or   Fridge   )   was   one   that   came   in occasionally   and   I   had   the   joy   of   servicing   just   one   amplifier   it   ran   2   x   PX4   Valves   in   the   output   stage   to   give   15   watts,   these   valves are   now   considered   to   be   some   of   the   best   ever   produced   and   command   extremely   high   prices   around   £400   each,   it   had   these same   output   valves   since   new      according   to   the   service   record   and   had   only   been   back   for   service   once   in   its   life   it   was manufactured   in   1950.   The   MK6   came   in   but   I   did   not   get   the   amplifier,   they   seemed   to   rate   the   old   boxes   different   to   the   new   ones for   some   reason.   One   task   all   of   us   did   was   stock   taking   on   the   inventory   in   stock,   we   all   spent   one   day   every   year   doing   a   stock check,   one   year   I   got   the   task   of   checking   the      old   stock,   it   was   the   parts   for   the   old   mk4   machines   (   MK2   Fridge   )   and   then   I   found out   there   were   1000s   of   most   parts,   which   were   then   scrapped,     At   this   time   the   Bal Ami’s   had   something   to   answer   for,   they   stopped production   of   MK4   and   MK6   (   AKA   MK2   and   MK2R   )   machines,   The   Bal-AMI   played   40   records   and   both   sides,   but   the   Ditchburn could   only   play   1   side,   Ditchburn   was   the   first   to   produce   machines   from   scratch   from   American   drawings,   but   sadly   they   were   all owned by him and they were scrapped by him but there are exceptions still doing the rounds on sales sites. We   got   taken   over   in   1970   by   BET   they   paid   2.3   million,   the   mood   did   not   change   and   GND   was   still   there   “but   the   mood   was changing”   we   sold   out   the   vending   department   to   National   Vendors   UK   a   subsidiary   of   National   Vendors   inc   and   in   early   1971   for about   1.3   million   we   put   in   a   bid   for   Gainesmead   but   they   returned   with   a   bid   for   us   and   in   October   1972.   We   sold   out   to Gainesmead   for   2.3   million   when   we   sold   the   Juke   box   business   we   let   go   of   2800   Juke   boxes. At   Christmas   we   were   hit   with   some sad   news   my   very   good   friend   Mike   Town   had   been   out   for   some   shooting   with   his   son,   he   had   his   meal   and   went   to   the   car   to collect   his   guns   to   clean   them,   mike   had   been   ill   for   a   couple   of   months   he   was   losing   his   sight   though   that   might   have   been temporary.   He   reached   in   to   the   car   and   grabbed   the   gun   and   it   went   off   he   had   left   one   up   the   spout   and   not   broken   the   gun   why   I do   not   know,   the   trigger   was   sensitive   and   shot   himself,   the   verdict   was   suicide   but   I   do   not   believe   that   for   one   minute   he   loved   his wife   and   family,   he   would   not   put   them   through   this   on   purpose.   I   think   a   good   verdict   would   have   been   misadventure   and   to   my mind   that   is   what   I   believe.   Mike   Town   was   the   sales      director   he   did   vending   mostly   but   did   work   for   the   equipment   side   as   well.   He was   the   only   director   to   want   foreigners   doing   and   he   brought   loads   of   bits   in   from   his   children.   We   were   closed   till   2nd   January   so   I did not know till then he was dead, RIP Mike. I   decided   that   that   was   that   I   had   lost   the   one   man   that   meant   something   to   me   I   was   definitely   leaving   so   I   made   the   announcement, I   told   the   company   I   was   having   that   day   of   the   funeral   off,   they   said   if   I   did   I   would   get   the   sack   so   I   just   said   sack   me!   The   whole staff joined me at the funeral, the company had relented, the whole works closed for the day and we all packed the crematorium. The   Company   was   now   called   Gainesmead Automatics   from   the   previous   October   and   in April   1973   we   came   back   to   work   after   the weekend   to   find   the   audio   department   in   disarray   the   next   door   had   gone   and   it   was   one   big   department   it   was   horrible   we   had   a jukebox   in   the   middle   of   the   room   the   Tonomat’s   were   cleared   away   and   in   their   place   there   was   200   selections   Seeburgs   and   NSM juke boxes I now refer to the new shitty music the MSM it was, and four people were missing from the staff. I   was   glad   when   the   end   of   July   came   I   left   but   had   one   more   duty   to   perform   I   was   the   chairman   of   the   Domino   club   and   my   last engagement   was   to   take   them   to   the   Isle   of   Man   for   Bank   holiday   Monday,   we   arrived   by   sea   and   it   was   a   holiday   everything   was shut,   and   even   worse   there   had   been   a   murder   on   the   Island   the   week   before,   we   went   for   lunch   went   on   a   tram   ride   down   the   prom, looked at the burned out wreck of the leisure complex and went to a go cart rink then came home, it was a complete let down. I   started   my   new   job   on   the   Tuesday   my   life   was   no   longer   the   same   I   had   lost   the   best   job   of   my   life   and   would   never   return   to normality.   Finally   the   back   ground   music   division   was   eventually   sold   out   to   an   English   subsidiary   of   an   American   company   then   to 3M   for   1.2   million. And   that   was   the   end   of The   Ditchburn   Organisation.   We   sold   the   going   concern   to   BET   they   sold   the   lot   off   for   4.7 million   in   separate   lots   after   paying   us   2.3   million. The   day   I   left   Ditchburn’s   the   staff   presented   me   with   a   tankard   but   unfortunately   it had on it the wording of Gainesmead on it, it simply said “to Arthur Phillips from friends at Gainesmead. These   friends   were:   Bill   Andrews,   Ronnie   Eastwood,   John   Hesketh,   Leslie   Dyson,   Peter   Cain,   Norman   Smith,   (Reg)   Reginald Simpson,   Pete   Odea,   George   Lewis,   Rod   Tatersal,   and   loads   more   I   am   sorry   but   I   know   your   names   but   cannot   for   the   life   of   me remember   them   I   have   always   had   a   problem   remembering   names   but   I   never   forget   your   face. And   all   the   other   detail,   Peter   Cain RIP   was   dead   before   I   left   Ditchburn’s.   I   was   promoted   to   head   audio   engineer   in   early   1969   after   Milton   King   left,   so   I   remain   chief audio engineer at Ditchburn Equipment until i left.
Arthur Phillips
if   anyone   has   any   questions   for Arthur   or   would   like   to   contact   him,   please contact us via the button below and we will pass your details on to Arthur
To Be Continued ….
Photo Ref: DB187 Courtesy of Clive Mark
Photo Ref: DB098 Courtesy of Barry Cartmell
Photo Ref: DB097 Courtesy of Barry Cartmell
Photo Ref: DB227 Courtesy of EB
Photo Ref: DB229 Courtesy of EB
Photo ref: DB228 Courtesy of KD
Photo ref: DB230 Courtesy of KD
Below is the fantastically detailed story from  Arthur Phillips in which he discusses his time working at the Ditchburn Dock Road factory at Lytham.
The Photo on the right is of Tommy Greaves.  Tom   was Arthur’s   first   boss,   he   was   in   charge   of   the   Vending Department.        Tom,    a    qualified    engineer,    loved    his    work hence   his   extended   service   to   the   company.   he   worked   for Ditchburn for many years and retired when he was in his 70s              Photo Ref: DB231 Courtesy of Philip Marriott